Pirrong a Featured Speaker at CME Group Symposium on Ensuring
University of Houston C. T. Bauer College of Business Professor Craig Pirrong will be a featured speaker at a CME Group symposium on March 1 in Washington, D.C., discussing recent derivatives regulations.
Effective Commodity Markets in Changing Regulatory Landscape
Pirrong, who is director of energy markets for UH Global Energy Management Institute, studies the economics of commodity markets, the relationship between market fundamentals and commodity price dynamics and the implications of the relationship for the pricing of commodity derivatives.
UH GEMI is partnering with the CME Group, the Commodity Markets Council and the Natural Gas Supply Association to host the March 1 symposium, which comes at a time when the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate is discussing an unprecedented financial-overhaul law.
Pirrong, along with other industry representatives and experts, will discuss the integral role of transparent and regulated commodity futures markets in advancing U.S. agriculture, energy and economic development, and the implications of Dodd-Frank regulatory proposals on the functioning of these markets.
Participants will include:
- Susan Phillips, Member of the Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues, former Federal Reserve Governor, and former CFTC Chairman (keynote speaker)
- John Hofmeister, Chief Executive of Citizens for Affordable Energy and former President of Shell Oil Company (moderator)
- Craig Pirrong, Professor and Director of Energy Markets, Global Energy Management Institute, University of Houston, Bauer College of Business
- Thomas Erickson, Vice-President of Government & Industry Affairs, Bunge
- James Allison, Risk Manager, Gas and Power North America, ConocoPhillips
- Greg Mocek, Partner, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft
- Jason Ungar, Managing Director, Gresham Investment Management
By Jessica Navarro